Its no secret that Kerry Washington is one of the most beautiful women to grace our screens but I had to wonder, ‘What’s her secret?’ Well, as it turns out, most of her beauty comes from within meaning she feeds herself whole foods and lots of juices and smoothies.
Why are green smoothies so amazing?
- Obviously, you increase your daily consumption of fruits and veggies and because its blended and processed into micro nutrients, benefits are delivered to the bloodstream quicker while the fiber remaining (unlike juice) helps keep you full and regular.
- Clearer skin because you’re now expelling all those toxins through having that fiber that keeps the colon clear.
- You naturally lose weight because its fruits and vegetables! How can you be doing your body a disservice with those ingredients?
- You naturally get more water because fruits and vegetables are packed with water. Upping you water intake helps clear out toxins, plump and brighten skin and gives you that Kerry glow.
I was feeling a bit sluggish and low on rich whole food nutrients so I hunted down a green smoothie recipe.
I didn’t have to search long for one of Kerry Washington’s favorite smoothies, especially while she was pregnant:
The Glowing Green Smoothie
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
½ head of a large bunch or ¾ of a small bunch of spinach
1 apple, cored and chopped
1 pear, cored and chopped
1 banana, sliced
Juice of ½ fresh lemon
⅓ bunch cilantro, optional
⅓ bunch parsley, optional
I made a few tweaks:
- I didn’t add the optional herbs
- I added ginger
- I added coconut water (I absolutely love the sweet zing it adds)
- Only half of the pear and apple because I dont have that much room in my blender
- Ice. Lots of ice.
Blended it all up in my 32oz Nutri Ninja and I felt so good downing all that goodness. I was really missing my smoothies. Now that the weather is warming up, looking forward to having them with all kind of good local farmer’s market fruit.
Do you have a favorite green smoothie recipe? What’s in it and have you seen any benefits from adding green smoothies to your diet?